Menu Close

How to mint a sneaker in STEPN? How much time does it take? How much does it cost?

A few weeks ago, I didn’t know much about STEPN. Today, I am an addict. Not only because of the daily adrenaline coming through running, but because of all the fun I have using the application, looking at the marketplace, and of course, minting new sneakers. It does give you a real rush. But, how does it work? How can you mint a new sneaker? How much time does it take?

First of all, to mint a new sneaker you need to own two sneakers. Yes, you need to have two sneakers in your spending wallet as these will become the parents of the new sneaker that is minted. A sneaker can be minted (used as a parent) a maximum of seven times, but the more times it has been used, the more expensive it will become to mint. That is why you will often see that sneakers with many mints are cheaper than those with 0 mints.

minting a new sneaker

Above you can see a sneaker level 4.

  • It is important to know that a sneaker MUST BE level 5 or higher in order to use it for minting. So, make sure that you have at least two sneakers in your wallet that have reached level 5 (or more).
  • When this is done, click the MINT button (the heart at the bottom of the screen).
  • You will now see the selected sneaker and one more sneaker on the upcoming page. Click the “empty” sneaker and add your second selected sneaker to start the minting process.
  • When you have selected both the sneakers you will see the price of the minting process. If you are satisfied, you can now start the minting process.
  • You will immediately receive your brand new sneaker box. You can either just leave the box unopened, or you can go ahead and open the new sneaker box immediately.

Above you can see the price of the minting, and then a few seconds later, a new sneaker has been minted. You can decide to open it immediately, or simply collect the box (without opening it).

When the minting process is finished, both “parents” will have increased their minting number with one, and you will have a brand new sneaker in your wallet that is level 0 and without any mints.

There is a 48-hour cooldown period

It is important to know that once you have minted a new sneaker, or once you have bought a new sneaker, there is a 48 hours cool-down period before you can actually use it to mint a new sneaker. This is true for new sneakers that you buy in the marketplace, it is true for sneakers that you mint, and it is true for both the parents that you have used to mint a new sneaker.

cool-down period for minting a new sneaker

Above you can see that the shoe-minting is in a cooldown, and I have to wait 28 more hours before I am able to use it for minting once again.

How much does it cost to mint a sneaker?

The STEPN team has changed the prices quite regularly, so instead of including the wrong information in this article, we rather recommend that you check our article that deals with how much it costs to mint a sneaker in STEPN. That article should always be up to date and it will give you all the information that you need.

In what way is the new sneaker influenced by the parents/vintage?

Whether you will get a walker, a jogger, a runner, or a trainer is depending on the parents of the new sneaker. Below you can see the chances of receiving different sneaker types based on the parents/vintage.

Parent type 1Parent type 2Walker %Jogger %Runner %Trainer %
WalkerWalker85663
WalkerJogger454573
WalkerRunner457453
WalkerTrainer80668
JoggerJogger68563
JoggerRunner745453
JoggerTrainer68068
RunnerRunner66853
RunnerTrainer66808
TrainerTrainer25252525

Based on the statistics you can see above, it is easy to understand that the trainer sneaker is the sneaker hardest to get when minting. Besides that, the rest of the minted sneakers is distributed quite fairly as walkers, joggers, and runners.

Can I mint an uncommon sneaker with two common sneakers?

It would be great with an early Christmas present this year, wouldn’t it? Well, if you mint two common sneakers you will for sure get a common shoe box. But, there is a 3% chance that a common shoebox will contain an uncommon sneaker. It isn’t a big chance, but it does exist.

If you mint a new sneaker from a common and an uncommon sneaker, there is a 50% chance that you will get a common shoebox, a 49% chance that you will get an uncommon shoebox, and a 1% chance that you will get a rare shoebox.

If you mint two uncommon sneakers, there is a 98% chance that you will get an uncommon shoe box and a 2% chance that you will get a rare shoebox.

A short summary – STEPN sneaker minting guide

  • You need two sneakers with at least level 5 in your wallet.
  • The sneakers have to be at least 48-hours in your wallet before they can be used for minting.
  • You need to have the required funds (minting cost) in your spending wallet.
  • The minting itself happens in a few seconds.
  • The brand new sneaker will arrive after a few seconds of minting.
  • The new sneaker arrives as a walker, jogger, runner, or trainer at level 0 with a mint number of 0.

Do you have anything to add or maybe a question you would like to ask? Use the comment field below!

Related Posts

1 Comment

  1. Joshua Brooks

    Hello Thomas,

    Thanks for your article on STEPN shoe minting.

    I minted a STEPN sneaker today. Both shoes were Common. One shoe was Level 9 and the other was Level 5. I saw the shoebox as it was minted. Then, I opened it and out came a decent Common sneaker. Then, it disappeared – into the ether (pun intended).

    It’s no longer appearing in my STEPN app. I’m a bit concerned but understand the 48-hour cool-down process. When should I be able to see my newly-minted sneaker on the STEPN app? I checked my wallet and throughout the app but didn’t see anything.

    Any thoughts or info? Thanks.

Leave a Reply