Do you have a Boxee Box and want to use it together with your current VPN subscription? Can I use a VPN on my Boxee Box to bypass geo-blocks or at least encrypt my online activity?
It feels strange writing an article on Boxee Box, first of all because it feels like a product that is totally out of date. It was originally released back in 2010, and since 2013 nothing has really happened to the product and nothing is about to happen either. If you however have a Boxee Box and want to use your current VPN subscription on your media device, then it can of course be done. This is how you can setup a VPN on your Boxee Box.
Setup a VPN on Boxee Box
- Press the Menu button on your Boxee Box home screen.
- Now you need to select the Network settings.
- Select the VPN option in the bottom.
- Select the connection type named PPTP
- Enter the address of the VPN server you want to connect to.
- Enter your VPN username.
- Enter your VPN password.
Notice that lots of companies use a different password for such logins than the password you use to actually login to your VPN account. An example of this is HideMyAss and you can read more about that here.
- Enable the Encryption Required.
- Now it is time to Connect. If everything works fine you should be connected at once. If you fail to connect, examine the name of the server, the username and the password to check that they are all correct.
Now you should be ready to use a VPN connection on your Boxee Box. Have fun doing so, but if you want to use a more modern device, then maybe you could consider an Apple TV, an Amazon TV, Roku or maybe a Chromecast instead.