The name of ExpressVPN sounds very promising. As a result, I had great expectations as I sat in front of the computer, bought an ExpressVPN subscription, downloaded the client, and got started. Are you curious about what I thought about ExpressVPN after trying it for some days/months/years? Keep on reading this ExpressVPN review for more information.
The first impression that was given to me was the ExpressVPN homepage. I originally wrote this article in 2013. Since 2013, a lot has changed, and so has the ExpressVPN website. And to be honest, it has changed for the better. It is now a very clean website, containing all the information you need without searching the full website. You can easily log in, purchase a subscription, or find out where ExpressVPN has its servers. The sign-up process is also very easy and quick, meaning you can finish the entire sign-up process in a few minutes.
After signing up, it is time to download the ExpressVPN application. They have nice-looking applications for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android, and they have thorough guides on how to set up ExpressVPN on different routers, etc. You can also find an ExpressVPN application for Linux, which is based on the terminal window, meaning that you will have to type in the commands to connect to servers, disconnect from a server, change settings, and other similar tasks.
As of 2023, ExpressVPN has browser extensions available for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. They also support devices like Apple TV, Fire TV, Smart TV, PlayStation, and other similar smart devices.
A short summary of our ExpressVPN review.
– Servers in nearly 100 countries.
– Live customer service online 24/7.
– Download speeds exceeding 100 Mbps on most servers.
– Applications for Windows, iOS, macOS, Android, FireTV, Linux, and more platforms.
– Easy-to-use browser extensions available for Firefox, Chrome, and Edge.
– Amazing for unblocking Netflix, BBC, Hulu, and other services.
– More expensive than most other VPN providers.
– A full refund policy valid for 30 days that you can trust.
Would you like to try ExpressVPN already? Click the button above.
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 nations. Below you can see some of the countries with ExpressVPN servers:
United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Panama, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Luxembourg, Austria, Czech Republic, Poland, Lithuania, India, Russia, and Egypt.
ExpressVPN runs more than 2000 servers in approximately 150 different cities around the globe.
ExpressVPN might not be the biggest VPN provider on the market, but they have more than enough servers for 99% of all users. Those who purchase a VPN subscription normally only do so because they need online protection and encryptions at their present location or to unblock certain TV networks and/or streaming services. In such cases, you do not really care whether or not ExpressVPN has a server in Syria. But, if you are in need of an IP address in a certain country, make sure to look it up before you purchase a subscription (to find out whether or not ExpressVPN has a server in that given country)
We have tested several ExpressVPN servers in nations all across the world. We often suffer from much lower speeds as we connect to VPN servers in countries far away, but we could surf with almost no speed trouble using all the different ExpressVPN servers. Here are some examples from our test process:
- Before using ExpressVPN: The upload speed was more than 500 Mbps
- Connecting to a server in Canada: Download speed 247 Mbps
- Connecting to a server in the UK: Download speed 251 Mbps
- Connect to a server in the USA: Download speed 101 Mbps
These are just some examples, but we consider these to be very good results and better than many other VPN providers on the market.
- You can read more about different VPN speed tests right here.
These speeds tell us that you can do all online activities without delay using ExpressVPN. While many VPN providers will slow you down and make you unable to stream Netflix content, the opposite is true regarding ExpressVPN. The worst VPN providers will even make surfing hard because their servers are so slow. Luckily, ExpressVPN lives up to its name. Maybe that is why it is a much more expensive VPN than most others because they spend money having blazing-fast servers for all their subscribers.
ExpressVPN technical info
Once you download the ExpressVPN client you will by default use their Lightway protocol (built on the Wireguard protocol). Other protocols are available as well such as TCP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP, and PPTP. ExpressVPN is located in the British Virgin Islands, with no data retention laws. They claim to be a no-log company. Since the service is located in the British Virgin Islands, they are not forced to share customer data with governments in other countries.
ExpressVPN offers services like a kill-switch (all activity will stop if the VPN connection disconnects) and split tunneling (only certain online activities run through the VPN, while others use your normal connection).
There are quite some VPN services out there cheaper than ExpressVPN, but there are also several more expensive than ExpressVPN. Here you will get an overview showing the prices for the different ExpressVPN subscriptions.
- 1-month subscription: 12,95USD
- 6 months subscription: 59,95USD (9,99 USD per month)
- 12 months subscription: 99,95USD (8,32 USD per month)
ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, and all subscriptions include unlimited bandwidth.
You can also use one VPN subscription on five different devices simultaneously, meaning that you can easily share your credentials with some friends or family members and split the cost (if you feel like it).
If you want to remain anonymous, purchasing and paying for your ExpressVPN subscription using cryptocurrencies is possible. In such cases, you do not have to give away any personal information during the registration process. As a result, you can remain a 100% anonymous ExpressVPN user. It is important to notice that refunds are not available if you pay with cryptocurrencies due to the volatility of the different cryptocurrencies.
Maybe you wonder why ExpressVPN is more expensive than most other VPN providers on the market. That is a valid question and one we also ask ourselves. We have some theories.
- You pay for the brand. ExpressVPN is a well-known company and it has a great reputation. As a result, they make you pay more simply because ExpressVPN Is a name we trust.
- ExpressVPN has really fast servers. In other words, you don’t suffer from buffering when you stream Netflix content, even though you connect to a server on the other side of the world. Of course, the download speed of your own Internet connection might cause trouble, but then it is because of your own Internet connection and not because of the ExpressVPN servers. As you read above, we have often experienced download speeds exceeding 200 Mbps using different ExpressVPN servers.
- They have very skilled people working in live support. As a result, you will get an answer to your questions quickly as you contact them through their website. This is very useful as you will find quick answers to your questions. We have used this several times, especially when we experienced trouble on Linux, and we got answers to our questions quickly every time.
- This is a fantastic service for unblocking. While almost all VPN providers suffered as Netflix blocked VPN providers and proxy services, ExpressVPN worked around the clock with Netflix. If some of their servers are blocked, they always provide other solutions immediately. In other words, it is fantastic for unblocking and you can trust that they will work very hard to provide solutions to future problems as well.
These are some thoughts about why ExpressVPN is more expensive than other VPN providers. Is it worth paying more to get an ExpressVPN subscription? That is a decision you need to make yourself.
ExpressVPN and unblocking streaming sites
The true strength of ExpressVPN is discovered when you try to unblock websites and streaming sites online. While many VPN providers will give you IP addresses in other nations, no other provider will give you access to as many streaming sites as ExpressVPN. They are among the best when it comes to unblocking Netflix regions, they are always working well if you want to stream Amazon Prime abroad, you can use them to watch HBO Now, CBS All Access, Fox, and NBC outside the States, and they can be used to stream the content on European TV channels like ARD, ZDF, ORF, ITV, BBC, Channel 4, and lots of other channels.
In other words, ExpressVPN might be the best service you will get if you want to watch content on different streaming websites and TV networks online outside the actual nation of the country.
ExpressVPN review conclusion
ExpressVPN is easy to use, has a nice-looking client, and has reasonable prices. They are by far the best VPN provider on the market as of 2022 when it comes to unblocking streaming services such as Netflix, so if that is your goal, ExpressVPN is the best! However, the 30-day money-back guarantee makes it relatively harmless to make a subscription and try, and if you are unsatisfied, you can ask for the money back whenever you want and go try another VPN service instead.
If you have tried ExpressVPN, feel free to comment and share your thoughts. If you have not yet tried ExpressVPN, but want to make a subscription and try it yourself, visit the ExpressVPN site immediately.
Do not forget that you will get 3 months of ExpressVPN for free if you sign up for 12 months using the ExpressVPN link above!
Express VPN news from the blog
- The best VPNs for Netflix in 2023.
Netflix is an amazing streaming service, but they block a lot of VPN providers, making it hard to surf encrypted online using a VPN and stream your […]
- The best VPN for American Netflix in 2023.
The United States is the home country of Netflix. This is where the streaming service was born, and even though it is growing worldwide, it is still […]
- The best VPN for British Netflix in 2023.
Are you waiting for your fish and chips to arrive in a London restaurant? Would you like to watch something on Netflix while waiting but feel […]
3 thoughts on “ExpressVPN review (2023)”
I have just updated this ExpressVPN review to make sure it is up to date and all correct for our readers who come by to read this review in 2019! I will keep it updated throughout the year, and whenever 2020 is around the corner, I will make sure it is well suited for the upcoming year(s) as well!
Got express about a year ago and it has not let me down yet. Good fast connections as I travel a lot. thanks guys.
I have not been able to use my express vpn at all and now I can’t even get onto there web site I had this one tech guy try and figure it out and he couldn’t then that was it I can’t even get in touch with them now His name was Edwin I am not a happy camper!!!